Thursday, March 31, 2011

Disorientation

For those of you who don't know, I have a new job! I'm the student coordinator for a group of 74 California kids who are studying abroad here in Buenos Aires. The job only lasts until May, so I've kept a lot of my classes and am still doing translating work on the side. Basically, I work an insane amount (which is why I haven't been able to spend so much time blogging).
Extreme exhaustion aside, I love my job. It provides me with the opportunity to do lots of cultural activities and travel throughout Argentina, and whats more is that I get to do it all on work's dime! Most of all, my job provides me with an endless stream of insane stories. Being in charge of 74 American, college-age students who are likely abroad for the first time in their lives means that I'm constantly dealing with someone's crazy.

The first few days the students were here we held an orientation session, which provided us with some truly classic questions. We held a little break-out session on safety and getting around town (how to use the buses, which taxis are safe and which aren't, etc). One girl asked me, in all seriousness, "If I'm lost, and I don't know where I am, can I call a taxi company and ask them to come find me? Also, can I ask them to do that in English???" I think my jaw dropped. "Ummmm, noooo" I responded, and moved on. This is what I actually wanted to say: "Where the f*** would you be able to do that??? How the f*** would a taxi be able to find you if you don't know where you are?? Also, this is Buenos Aires, a taxi driver does not speak English!!"
Two days later the students were all moved into their homestays and after working many 16 hour days during orientation, I was getting some much-needed sleep. then, at around 5 am my cell phone goes off (I have a work cell that the students can call in case of emergency).

RIIIIIINGGGG RIIIIINGGGGG
Me (incredibly groggy): hello??? what happened??
Student: yea, I forgot my keys at home and I went out so now I can't get back into my house.
Me: did you call your roommates?
Student: yea, they're inside but they aren't answering their phones.
Me: did you ring the bell??
Student: No
Me: Ok do that. (wanting to scream- "you called me at 5 am because you cant get in your house and you didn't try ringing the flippin bell first???? what do you think I'm going to be able to do for you??? do you think I have some sort of magic button that opens all the doors in Argentina???")

Well, at least its funny now....

No comments:

Post a Comment